Here’s another recipe from our Bala Brook Aloha Yoga Retreat 2014. Christine is a dedicated foodie and gets her inspiration from many sources including professional chefs. This recipe is one of Jamie Oliver’s.
Minutes to prepare: 20
Minutes to cook: 30
Number of servings: 4
12 oz chickpeas, soaked overnight in water
1 medium potato, peeled
6 leek, finely, sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
knob of butter
2 cloves of garlic, finely, sliced
freshly ground pepper
850 ml chicken or vegetable stock
2 handful parmesan cheese, grated
extra virgin olive oil
- Rinse the soaked chickpeas, cover with water, and cook with the potato until tender.
- Remove the outer skin of the leeks, slice lengthways from the root up, wash carefully and slice finely.
- Warm a thick-bottomed pan, and add the tablespoon of oil and the knob of butter. Add the leeks and garhc to the pan, and sweat gently with a good pinch of salt until tender and sweet.
- Add the drained chickpeas and potato and cook for 1 minute. Add about two-thirds of the stock and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Purée half the soup in a food processor and leave the other half chunky this gives a lovely smooth comforting feel but also keeps a bit of texture.
- Now add enough of the remaining stock to achieve the consistency you like. Check for seasoning, and add Parmesan to taste to round off the flavours.